1) Check Operating Manual for starting up with the system
- It is strongly recommended to use only the latest available SW. If not the latest, the SW compatibility between modem, beacon, and Dashboard SW is not guaranteed. To update the SW on your devices:
- Please, always use SW from the same pack: Dashboard SW + modem SW + beacon SW. Don’t mix SW from different SW packages
- Download the SW (see the links below: “Latest stable SW to download”) to your hard drive
- Connect beacon or modem via USB to your computer. Make sure that only one device (either modem or beacon) is connected via USB, while programming!
- Run the Dashboard => Firmware => Choose the file => Program
- After programming, which takes a few seconds, press the HW reset button on modem/beacon
- To be on safe side, please, push the Default button in the Dashboard (bottom-right corner) while the device is still USB connected
- Write down the beacon’s address, because it will be used for waking up the beacon. Or you can change the beacon’s address for your convenience, like shown here
- Double-check in the Dashboard that (1) the modem/beacons contains now the expected version of the SW and (2) radio profiles of beacons and modems are the same
- It is possible to update beacons’ SW over radio interface from the Dashboard. It works pretty much the same way as via USB, but slower and depends on your radio profile settings
- Some new SW versions bring very substantial changes to the internal protocols and become incompatible with previous SW version. Thus, always keep the same SW versions on all beacons. Also use only compatible versions of the modem and the Dashboard SW, since they come in a package (beacon SW + modem SW + Dashboard SW) and all shall support the same protocols.Follow the instructions for DFU SW programming: http://www.marvelmind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=294, if DFU programming is needed. In normal mode, you would upload HEX files – not DFU files – to the boards and takes a few seconds per board (via USB) or 0.5-2 min per board via radio
- Double-check that the beacon’s address is the same after SW updating and radio settings of modem and beacons match (radio profile, first of all). Major changes in SW versions may lead to the device’s address to be overwritten. If happened, use the Dashboard to assign the required address to the beacon again.
2) Install STM driver
stm32_vcp.zip – required to connect beacons/modems to the Dashboard via USB. It needs to be installed only once on your Windows PC.
3) Download and install the latest stable SW
Updated on 28.Sep.2017
What is new:
- New feature: Two mobile beacons (‘hedgehogs”) can be paired and work together as a single beacon without update rate reduction. Moreover, each beacon streams out in this mode not only its own location, but direction where the pair is facing. This feature hugely simplifies autonomous driving and flight. Here is updated protocol with the changes
- New feature: Save Map/Load Map feature and buttons are active now. You can build a very complex map with submaps and save all settings for the map, submaps, and all beacons including their ultrasonic gain, triggers, etc.
- New feature: streaming user payload from mobile beacon to modem. See the table with speed vs. payload
- New Arduino sample file: sending user payload from mobile beacon to modem
- Improved: Until beacons are really awake, they are not shown as alive in the Dashboard anymore. Previously, they could be shown as green and alive before disappearing on timeout after a minute or so and that could confuse
- General bug fixes