Having problem to setup the marvelmind's "Starter Set NIA-SmallDrone"

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
jungx148

Having problem to setup the marvelmind's "Starter Set NIA-SmallDrone"

Post by jungx148 »

Hi,

I recently purchased the starter set NIA-SmallDrone and am having a problem while I am setting it up.
I sent an email to Marvelmind Contact Us regarding this issue three days ago. However, there is no response yet so I am posting the problem in here.

I am using Ubuntu 16.04 with Intel Core i3-7100 CPU @ 3.90GHz x 4 (64 bit).
I followed all guidelines shown in the "Marvelmind Dashboard Linux Version" manual before launching the dashboard. However, when I launched the dashboard with a command "./dashboard_x86," the dashboard shows an error message, "Not found modem connection to a computer through USB" although a modem is connected.

Also, there is an error message in the terminal as follows.

(dashboard_x86:3872): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_window_set_keep_above: assertion 'GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed

Thank you very much.

smoker77

Re: Having problem to setup the marvelmind's "Starter Set NIA-SmallDrone"

Post by smoker77 »

Hello,
Have you followed the manual in part of getting access to the serial port (adding user to dialout group)?
By default Linux can lock access to the serial port for users. 

If you connect a beacon instead of the modem via USB, do you see it in the dashboard?

Try type 'ls /dev/ttyACM*' in the terminal after connecting the modem to the computer.
Does the serial port appear?
If not, try another USB cable.
Some USB cables have too short metal part of the connector. 
Modem can be powered (LED can blink) but not connected to the bus.

jungx148

Post by jungx148 »

Hi,

Here is my answer to your previous response.
----

Have you followed the manual in part of getting access to the serial port (adding user to dialout group)?
>> Yes, I followed all the exact step by step shown in the manual, "dashboard_linux_manual_v2019_05_14.pdf".

If you connect a beacon instead of the modem via USB, do you see it in the dashboard?
>> No, I don't see any beacon, neither when I connect it to PC.

Try type 'ls /dev/ttyACM*' in the terminal after connecting the modem to the computer. Does the serial port appear?
>> Yes, the connected modem(or beacon) is detected as /dev/ttyACM0.

Regardless of whatever I try, the modem or beacon are never been detected until so far.

jungx148

Post by jungx148 »

The issue turned out to be "no right to access /dev/ttyACM0" bus and it can be fixed by running following code instead.

./dashboard_x86 /dev/ttyACM0

Although there is still the following failure message shown in the terminal, it does not affect the system running so forget about it.

(dashboard_x86:15176): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_window_set_keep_above: assertion 'GTK_IS_WINDOW (window)' failed