Environmental Conditions

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
fforde

Environmental Conditions

Postby fforde » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Good afternoon!

I've been looking for a short range solution like this for a scenario I have, but there are a few caveats:
The environment is extremely low pressure (~1 kPa).
The environment has a huge amount of particles in the 'air' obstructing all useful vision, hence the need for a navigation device.

Would these ultrasonic sensors function here or would the signal be degraded too much?

Best wishes,

Fforde

keywords: attenuation, dust, environment

admin
Site Admin

Re: Environmental Conditions

Postby admin » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:48 pm

Hello,

Looks very special ...
- Pressure: Never tested in this kind of environment... Probably, speed of sound values shall be adjusted. But, otherwise, I don't see why the system wouldn't work... In any case, tests must be done
- Particles: This is more challenging and may affect on comments regarding the pressure. That referred to open types of sensors and non-IP67 solutions. Your description pretty much requires IP67 or alike. Sensors would be closed types, which complicates, because they have air inside already. Under normal pressure... so, difficult to say what happens to them... including explosion...

I wouldn't worry too much about distance degradation, though, that must be tested as well. I would rather worry that the particles of pressure would kill the system totally. More details are required.

Also, the questions:
- How wast is the pressure changing?
- What types of particles is it? Abrasive? Conductive? Fog? Oil? Explosive? Size?

BR,
Maxim

Return to “FAQ”