Powering the Hedgehog

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
N4LRCC

Powering the Hedgehog

Postby N4LRCC » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:05 pm

The Mobile Beacon (Hedgehog) installed on a UAV (Drone). Can the Hedgehog be hard wired to pin 1 (VCC +5V) and pin 6 (GND) of the serial connection for power and eliminate the battery? Or will this disrupt the settings every time the UAV power is cycled?

Thanks,

Rick

admin
Site Admin

Re: Powering the Hedgehog

Postby admin » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:39 am

N4LRCC wrote:The Mobile Beacon (Hedgehog) installed on a UAV (Drone). Can the Hedgehog be hard wired to pin 1 (VCC +5V) and pin 6 (GND) of the serial connection for power and eliminate the battery? Or will this disrupt the settings every time the UAV power is cycled?

Thanks,

Rick

Hello Rick,

The normal recommended way is to power via USB. It is safer and better.
However, if you are reasonably experienced, you can disconnect the battery completely and solder your 5V source instead. Make sure that it not more than 5.5V in any case, it is not noisy, and that the source can provide peak current up to 1A without voltage drop of more, than 0.5V. And, of course, make sure that the battery is, indeed, disconnected and you know, what you are doing. Otherwise, the LiPol will just explode.

BR,
Maxim

N4LRCC

Postby N4LRCC » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:17 pm

Thank you Maxim,

That worked. It doesn't seem the Pixhawk serial ports have enough power output with the exception of the Telem 1 port that I need for my telemetry. I have connected the Hedgehog data to serial port 4 and supplied the power through a dedicated UBEC. This work great.

Thanks,

Rick

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:52 pm

N4LRCC wrote:Thank you Maxim,

That worked. It doesn't seem the Pixhawk serial ports have enough power output with the exception of the Telem 1 port that I need for my telemetry. I have connected the Hedgehog data to serial port 4 and supplied the power through a dedicated UBEC. This work great.

Thanks,

Rick

Sounds very good, Rick.
Thank you for updating.

Further good luck with your project!

niranjan

Postby niranjan » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:32 pm

can you post the video please....?

Return to “FAQ”