Z coordinates in 2D/3D and missing data points

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
llrw

Z coordinates in 2D/3D and missing data points

Post by llrw »

Hello Marvelmind,

I used two stationary super beacons (beacon 9 (31kHz) and beacon 6 (25kHz)) to build a 2D map in IA configuration. I specified the height of the stationary beacons to be 3m in Dashboard. Two mobile super beacons (beacon 5, height = 1.81m; beacon 7: height = 1.74m) were used to track a robot and a person, respectively. This 2D map was able to track the mobile beacons just fine. "2StationaryBeacons.jpg" shows the system configuration.

Then, I added one more stationary super beacon (beacon 11 (45kHz), height = 3m) to the current submap to add redundancy (I still want a 2D map, not 3D). However, this time the height information was no longer reflected in the map (or log) (please see "3StationaryBeacons.jpg"). I tried to disable "3D navigation" in the submap view, but the Z coordinates of beacon 5 and 7 were still not set to 1.81m and 1.74m, respectively.

In addition, after plotting the location data from the log, it was found that 5 seconds of data points were completely missing (in this experiment, both mobile beacons were moving towards the -y direction in a typical walking speed, see "missingData.jpg"). The same experiment was repeated several times, but the missing data points were found in all trials. Is there a fix for this issue?

I'd appreciated it if you could help me with these problems.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
2StationaryBeacons.jpg
3StationaryBeacons.jpg
missingData.PNG

admin
Site Admin

Re: Z coordinates in 2D/3D and missing data points

Post by admin »

llrw wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:18 pm
Hello Marvelmind,

I used two stationary super beacons (beacon 9 (31kHz) and beacon 6 (25kHz)) to build a 2D map in IA configuration. I specified the height of the stationary beacons to be 3m in Dashboard. Two mobile super beacons (beacon 5, height = 1.81m; beacon 7: height = 1.74m) were used to track a robot and a person, respectively. This 2D map was able to track the mobile beacons just fine. "2StationaryBeacons.jpg" shows the system configuration.

Then, I added one more stationary super beacon (beacon 11 (45kHz), height = 3m) to the current submap to add redundancy (I still want a 2D map, not 3D). However, this time the height information was no longer reflected in the map (or log) (please see "3StationaryBeacons.jpg"). I tried to disable "3D navigation" in the submap view, but the Z coordinates of beacon 5 and 7 were still not set to 1.81m and 1.74m, respectively.

In addition, after plotting the location data from the log, it was found that 5 seconds of data points were completely missing (in this experiment, both mobile beacons were moving towards the -y direction in a typical walking speed, see "missingData.jpg"). The same experiment was repeated several times, but the missing data points were found in all trials. Is there a fix for this issue?

I'd appreciated it if you could help me with these problems.

Thank you very much.

- Redundancy for 2D won't be created, if you just add 1 or even two beacons, unfortunately. What you have to do, if you really needed - to create fully overlapping submaps, i.e. two independent submaps covering the same area from opposite directions. Thus, if left is blocked, right will sill serve. Example: https://youtu.be/YkiMCIOamPs

- Adding 3rd or 4rth beacon would switch the system in 3D. There are tricks to use it in 2D, but they are more complex and not recommended. The recommended way - fully overlapping submaps. Please, remember define the service zones for both submaps for optimal tracking