Long distance detection

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
DIAMI

Long distance detection

Post by DIAMI »

Hello,

I did some tests in a factory (large area), i have a problem on long distance detection using 4 stationary beacons.

Do you advise to use more stationary beacons or use long antenna on the beacons ?

Thanks,

admin
Site Admin

Re: Long distance detection

Post by admin »

DIAMI wrote:Hello,

I did some tests in a factory (large area), i have a problem on long distance detection using 4 stationary beacons.

Do you advise to use more stationary beacons or use long antenna on the beacons ?

Thanks,

Hello,

Please, describe what exactly was the problem.

The distance can be limited by two factors:
- Ultrasonic
- Radio

With radio we have tested up to 400 meters with full-size 165mm antennas in 433MHz and clear direct sight.
With standard 50mm we have tested distance up to 100m in office environment (basic thin walls, etc.).

With 915MHz we haven't performed distance tests, but expected coverage with standard 915MHz is more, than with 50mm for 433MHz.

More limiting factor is the distance in ultrasonic. To achieve the highest distance:
- Enable only those ultrasonic sensors that are needed. The rest - disable. It will significantly increase the sensitivity. Needed sensors - those, from where you can expect the ultrasonic signal to come. For example, sensitivity with all sensors enabled and only 1 sensor enable can differ as high as 4 times
- We have tested distance sensor 4 to sensor 4 facing directly with up to 50 meters in ideal conditions. We recommend in real-life environment to use distances up 30 meters between beacons
- Monitor signals using embedded oscilloscope

BR,
Maxim