Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
Post Reply
freaad
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 am

Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by freaad »

Hello.
I am the graduate school student in Canada.
Right now I am trying to making autonomous flight(waypoint based) drone.
I am using the Marvelmind beacon instead of GPS.
My mission planner can not be updated the MAP data from wifi because of my location.
Here is the question.
First ,do I need to follow the Dashboard's North direction? Looks like real north and dashboard's north need to be same. I don;t know how to do it.
Second, my mobile beacon is not stable sometimes. Sometimes the map is moving even if I freeze the map.
Third, My prameter setting is GPS type is 5, and EKF Alt is gps only.
If someone recommend other parameter should I need to change please inform me.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by admin »

freaad wrote:Hello.
I am the graduate school student in Canada.
Right now I am trying to making autonomous flight(waypoint based) drone.
I am using the Marvelmind beacon instead of GPS.
My mission planner can not be updated the MAP data from wifi because of my location.
Here is the question.
First ,do I need to follow the Dashboard's North direction? Looks like real north and dashboard's north need to be same. I don;t know how to do it.
Second, my mobile beacon is not stable sometimes. Sometimes the map is moving even if I freeze the map.
Third, My prameter setting is GPS type is 5, and EKF Alt is gps only.
If someone recommend other parameter should I need to change please inform me.


Hello,

We can guide you in deep on Marvelmind's Indoor "GPS" settings. But we still don't have enough resources to play with ArduPilot, etc.
I can only recommend to ask other guys in the forum.

BR,
Maxim

freaad
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 am

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by freaad »

Thank you Maxim.
Ok I have some questions about Indoor GPS setting.
I am using the beacon in the tunnel which is less affected by noise.
The thing is that I have big gap after I freeze the map.
Second for UAV setting How could I set the north and How could I change the 0,0 coordinate in the map.
Looks like the lowest number of stationary beacon become the (0,0) is it right?
This is the really important for UAV if we can set the north in the indoor gps intergrate with UAV and indoor gps we can use guided mode.
Third, my connection between UAV and mobile beacon lost and reconnect again again. Do you have any guess.
This is the beacon part problem right now I faced. Do you have any answer or any guess please let me know.
BR
DHK

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by admin »

freaad wrote:Thank you Maxim.
Ok I have some questions about Indoor GPS setting.
I am using the beacon in the tunnel which is less affected by noise.
The thing is that I have big gap after I freeze the map.
Second for UAV setting How could I set the north and How could I change the 0,0 coordinate in the map.
Looks like the lowest number of stationary beacon become the (0,0) is it right?
This is the really important for UAV if we can set the north in the indoor gps intergrate with UAV and indoor gps we can use guided mode.
Third, my connection between UAV and mobile beacon lost and reconnect again again. Do you have any guess.
This is the beacon part problem right now I faced. Do you have any answer or any guess please let me know.
BR
DHK


Hello,

Let me ask some clarification questions, first:
- What do you mean you have gap?
- System chooses (0,0,0) randomly. (0,0,0) you can assign to any beacon manually - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJIjRV7I2M. You can also set any point on the map as (0,0,0), but it requires a few more steps
- You can assign north manually - just rotate the map

BR,
Maxim

freaad
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 am

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by freaad »

Second I got the north part from hendrik but I will also watch the video too.
When I freeze the map beacon's position change a lot. Some times it is really stable but otherwise beacon's position change really a lot.
I have no idea. My another problem is that beacon is dying suddenly and I don;'t know why.If dying is specific beacon it could be hardware problem, but it is random, so my all beacon is defective or my setting is problem. I think this two issue could be related. I caliberated my beacon and some of them can't make 4000. In that cases should I reduce the parameter to 3800?
Also do you guys have any acadimic paper related with your product. I am trying to write down my first paper with your product and it is really hard to find. Beacon is really popular word but your system is really accurate compare to other beacon research. I read some papers and there result have meter accuracy. of course they do not say about which beacon they use. So beacon looks like common term. Could you define your beacon's solution name? For example RTK beacon like it.
My field is civil engineering so I think in my field beacon is not familiar to readers.

User avatar
admin
Site Admin
Posts: 305
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by admin »

freaad wrote:Second I got the north part from hendrik but I will also watch the video too.
When I freeze the map beacon's position change a lot. Some times it is really stable but otherwise beacon's position change really a lot.
I have no idea. My another problem is that beacon is dying suddenly and I don;'t know why.If dying is specific beacon it could be hardware problem, but it is random, so my all beacon is defective or my setting is problem. I think this two issue could be related. I caliberated my beacon and some of them can't make 4000. In that cases should I reduce the parameter to 3800?
Also do you guys have any acadimic paper related with your product. I am trying to write down my first paper with your product and it is really hard to find. Beacon is really popular word but your system is really accurate compare to other beacon research. I read some papers and there result have meter accuracy. of course they do not say about which beacon they use. So beacon looks like common term. Could you define your beacon's solution name? For example RTK beacon like it.
My field is civil engineering so I think in my field beacon is not familiar to readers.

- Freeze only when the table of distances is white. If it is not white, some distances haven't been measured correctly. When the table is white, it is highly unlikely that anything would jump
- There are several elements for the system to show excellent results:
1) Mobile beacons must see 3 or more stationary beacons at once at any point where you need location
2) Distance to between the mobile beacon and the nearest stationary beacons must be <=30 meters
3) If you have strong wideband noise, like the one in case of copters, it is important to set the gain right, i.e. not too high, because, otherwise, the wideband noise will be amplified, but the main signal is not, because it would be already saturated. So, in case of copters, it is better to have rather low gain, than too high gain. Monitor the signal strength using embedded oscilloscope
- Sensors doesn't necessarily have to be 4000. It is absolutely normal. They keep the maximum stable gain. Often, it is even recommended to manually reduce the results of the automatic calibration by 50-100. For example, if you have as a result 2800, just type in that cell 2700 or 2750. It would make the gain slightly lower, but the system more stable. However, remember, that it has nothing to do with finding the optimal gain for the copter. Usually, gain for the copter must be significantly lower

For academic papers:
- Our beacons are pretty unique on the current market. They are a combination of ultrasonic for distance measurement and radio for time synchronization
- Our beacons have nothing to do with Bluetooth or WiFi. Those give you 2-5 meters precision and are based on RSSI measurements, which very imprecise even after very sophisticated calibration. The only strong advantage of BT/WiFi based system - you don't need a mobile beacon. Your phone is the beacon. With our system we are tracing our mobile beacon against our stationary beacons. But do that with +-2cm precision
- They use time of flight approach. But not time of flight for radio, but for ultrasonic. Thus, we are able to achive +-2cm precision of even better depending on the settings

freaad
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 am

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by freaad »

Thank you admin for your kind answer.
I don't get it about gain part. What is the gain in the dashboard variable.
I understand of your most of the answer but I don't know what is the gain and how should I choose the low gain.

freaad
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:59 am

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by freaad »

Looks like gain means the +16 hz stuff. I reduce the 8 hz and It looks like more stable setting.

el_guapo
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon May 15, 2017 11:40 pm

Re: Looking for help with Drone and beacon

Post by el_guapo »

admin wrote:
freaad wrote:Second I got the north part from hendrik but I will also watch the video too.
When I freeze the map beacon's position change a lot. Some times it is really stable but otherwise beacon's position change really a lot.
I have no idea. My another problem is that beacon is dying suddenly and I don;'t know why.If dying is specific beacon it could be hardware problem, but it is random, so my all beacon is defective or my setting is problem. I think this two issue could be related. I caliberated my beacon and some of them can't make 4000. In that cases should I reduce the parameter to 3800?
Also do you guys have any acadimic paper related with your product. I am trying to write down my first paper with your product and it is really hard to find. Beacon is really popular word but your system is really accurate compare to other beacon research. I read some papers and there result have meter accuracy. of course they do not say about which beacon they use. So beacon looks like common term. Could you define your beacon's solution name? For example RTK beacon like it.
My field is civil engineering so I think in my field beacon is not familiar to readers.

- Freeze only when the table of distances is white. If it is not white, some distances haven't been measured correctly. When the table is white, it is highly unlikely that anything would jump
- There are several elements for the system to show excellent results:
1) Mobile beacons must see 3 or more stationary beacons at once at any point where you need location
2) Distance to between the mobile beacon and the nearest stationary beacons must be <=30 meters
3) If you have strong wideband noise, like the one in case of copters, it is important to set the gain right, i.e. not too high, because, otherwise, the wideband noise will be amplified, but the main signal is not, because it would be already saturated. So, in case of copters, it is better to have rather low gain, than too high gain. Monitor the signal strength using embedded oscilloscope
- Sensors doesn't necessarily have to be 4000. It is absolutely normal. They keep the maximum stable gain. Often, it is even recommended to manually reduce the results of the automatic calibration by 50-100. For example, if you have as a result 2800, just type in that cell 2700 or 2750. It would make the gain slightly lower, but the system more stable. However, remember, that it has nothing to do with finding the optimal gain for the copter. Usually, gain for the copter must be significantly lower


For academic papers:
- Our beacons are pretty unique on the current market. They are a combination of ultrasonic for distance measurement and radio for time synchronization
- Our beacons have nothing to do with Bluetooth or WiFi. Those give you 2-5 meters precision and are based on RSSI measurements, which very imprecise even after very sophisticated calibration. The only strong advantage of BT/WiFi based system - you don't need a mobile beacon. Your phone is the beacon. With our system we are tracing our mobile beacon against our stationary beacons. But do that with +-2cm precision
- They use time of flight approach. But not time of flight for radio, but for ultrasonic. Thus, we are able to achive +-2cm precision of even better depending on the settings
What exact values are you tuning, what are they listed as in your latest SW? Can you make a write up on setting up the beacons to operate with wide band noise?

Post Reply