Getting more than 5Hz from hedgehog

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
JonHylands

Getting more than 5Hz from hedgehog

Postby JonHylands » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Hi,

I've got my system set up, and I'm reading and parsing the binary data format from the USB connector on the hedgehog. I currently have 3 fixed beacons, and one hedgehog (none have the IMU option).

No matter what changes I do, I can't seem to get the output frequency over 5Hz. I've got the modem "Location update rate" set to 16+ Hz, I've got the submap "Limitation distance" set to auto, and the beacons are a max of 6m from each other.

I'm reading the data using the default baud rate (500K). I've validated the serial port buffer is staying small (less than one packet size), so my parse routine is having no trouble keeping up.

My parse code is python running on my Linux desktop.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

Thanks,
Jon

admin
Site Admin

Re: Getting more than 5Hz from hedgehog

Postby admin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:23 am

JonHylands wrote:Hi,

I've got my system set up, and I'm reading and parsing the binary data format from the USB connector on the hedgehog. I currently have 3 fixed beacons, and one hedgehog (none have the IMU option).

No matter what changes I do, I can't seem to get the output frequency over 5Hz. I've got the modem "Location update rate" set to 16+ Hz, I've got the submap "Limitation distance" set to auto, and the beacons are a max of 6m from each other.

I'm reading the data using the default baud rate (500K). I've validated the serial port buffer is staying small (less than one packet size), so my parse routine is having no trouble keeping up.

My parse code is python running on my Linux desktop.

Any suggestions on what else I can try?

Thanks,
Jon

- What is the regular update in the the Dashboard?... With 500kbps settings and Manual limitation of distance of 10m or so and with 16+Hz, you shall get 16+Hz. Let's achieve good update rate inside the Dashboard and then move to Python
- To be very sure in settings, put them in Manual limitation of distance. Maybe, something was left unnoticed and your real Auto limitation of distance are really long - like 30m
- Reading data via Python and internal radio protocol are two different things. You shall set Radio profile to 500kbps from the default 38kbps, because, otherwise, you are radio connection speed limited
- Notice also the Realtime player is On by default. It doesn't affect update rate, but it increases latency significantly. But it makes the track super-smooth

Try:
- 500kbps radio profile
- Manual limitation of distance of 10m
And you shall be fine

JonHylands

Re: Getting more than 5Hz from hedgehog

Postby JonHylands » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:11 pm

The radio profile was the fix... I changed it in the modem, and then had to plug in each beacon and change them one by one.

I now get 20+ Hz on the system, which is awesome - thanks!

- Jon

Return to “FAQ”