Problems with setting up MarvelMind

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
raakeshkamal

Problems with setting up MarvelMind

Postby raakeshkamal » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi,
I just recently purchased a MarvelMind kit HW4.9 915Mhz.As per instructions I charged the beacons for 2 hours.Led 1 was glowing all the while it was charging and went off after sometime.Led 2 never blinked after it got charged.All this while the beacon was connected to the PC but the dashboard never detected the beacon.I wasn't able to update the firmware at all.Everytime I try to upload the hex file it says Device not found.I tried DFU programming the beacon the firmware got updated but the neither the dashboard nor the modem detected the beacon.I tried opening up the device manager to check the device,It detects only the modem as a STM32 device ,the beacon appears as a Communications Port.I have installed all the given drivers.Still the beacon never gets detected by the dashboard.
On the modem side modem works fine I guess.Led 1 in modem blinks regularly and the dashboard is able to detect the modem.

I am quite new to this.What am I doing wrong?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Problems with setting up MarvelMind

Postby admin » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:06 pm

raakeshkamal wrote:Hi,
I just recently purchased a MarvelMind kit HW4.9 915Mhz.As per instructions I charged the beacons for 2 hours.Led 1 was glowing all the while it was charging and went off after sometime.Led 2 never blinked after it got charged.All this while the beacon was connected to the PC but the dashboard never detected the beacon.I wasn't able to update the firmware at all.Everytime I try to upload the hex file it says Device not found.I tried DFU programming the beacon the firmware got updated but the neither the dashboard nor the modem detected the beacon.I tried opening up the device manager to check the device,It detects only the modem as a STM32 device ,the beacon appears as a Communications Port.I have installed all the given drivers.Still the beacon never gets detected by the dashboard.
On the modem side modem works fine I guess.Led 1 in modem blinks regularly and the dashboard is able to detect the modem.

Hello,

A couple of things to check:
- Are the beacons, actually, ON at all? They may be in OFF mode or in DFU mode. What are the DIP switch position? Please, share photos of the DIP switch
- Some microUSB metal connectors are just too short for beacons or plastic part of the micro USB connector is too wide and USB pins do not reach the pins in the USB connector on the board. In some cases, even charging works, but data pins are just a fraction of mm too short. The connector may still work with modems, but not with beacons or, at least, not with all beacon. Please, find longer micro USB connectors with longer metal part. Try several really different USB cables
- What SW is tried for updating? Please, double check that you are trying to upload beacon SW to beacons and modem SW to modems
- Pay attention to SW versions: 433MHz vs. 915MHz. Use the SW pack according to your HW variant

And, of course, absolutely always use SW from the same SW pack. Don't take beacon SW from one SW pack and Dashboard from another. SW is compatible within the SW pack and doesn't necessarily compatible between the packs.

BR,
Maxim

coma

Postby coma » Tue May 22, 2018 10:46 pm

I've been having similar problems. I've checked that the beacons are indeed on, I made sure that the micro USB is long enough during charging. I can get them all to power on, but cannot get the firmware to update so that I can begin setting up all the beacons for a scan. I also get the "Device not found" error message. I used the correct SW pack for the hardware version, as well as all of the other SW versions just to be sure. The only thing I can think of is that the beacons need to be turned on before being plugged into my laptop, but I've tried that already. I'm fairly confident I can finish the rest of the steps of the setup process, if I can just get the beacons to upgrade.

Thanks.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed May 23, 2018 3:23 pm

coma wrote:I've been having similar problems. I've checked that the beacons are indeed on, I made sure that the micro USB is long enough during charging. I can get them all to power on, but cannot get the firmware to update so that I can begin setting up all the beacons for a scan. I also get the "Device not found" error message. I used the correct SW pack for the hardware version, as well as all of the other SW versions just to be sure. The only thing I can think of is that the beacons need to be turned on before being plugged into my laptop, but I've tried that already. I'm fairly confident I can finish the rest of the steps of the setup process, if I can just get the beacons to upgrade.

Thanks.

We shall clearly distinguish between not having a driver installed and having issues with upgrade of beacons, etc.
Please, comment, can you see the modem successfully connected in the Dashboard, when it is USB connected? If yes, then you have driver installed correctly. If not, then, most probably, the issue is not about USB cable, but about driver:

https://marvelmind.com/download/

2) Install STM driver

https://marvelmind.com/pics/stm32_vcp.zip – required to connect beacons/modems to the Dashboard via USB. It needs to be installed only once on your Windows PC.

faiz10

Postby faiz10 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:19 pm

hi,

i just bought 6 marvelmind beacon sensor.
but 2 of them has the same problem.
after charging 1 hours (approximately), the led1 goes dark.
and then, when i try to connect again with usb cable, the led1 does not illuminate at all.
it seems like, the beacons does not charging up.

please help to rectify this problem as this is important for my Phd studies.

Thank you

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:17 am

faiz10 wrote:hi,

i just bought 6 marvelmind beacon sensor.
but 2 of them has the same problem.
after charging 1 hours (approximately), the led1 goes dark.
and then, when i try to connect again with usb cable, the led1 does not illuminate at all.
it seems like, the beacons does not charging up.

please help to rectify this problem as this is important for my Phd studies.

Thank you

Please, connect the beacon via USB to Dashboard and check voltage readings in the Dashboard. With high probability, it is simply fully charged.
LED1 going dark after 1-2h is absolutely normal. It means that charging is over.

faiz10

Postby faiz10 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:14 am

hi,

i have checked the supply voltage from the dashboard using Usb cable.
i have charged the beacon overnight and the supply voltage is still around 3.67.
plus, the Led 1 still not illuminate when charging.

is something wrong with the beacon?

Thank you

Perpp

Postby Perpp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:51 pm

admin wrote:
raakeshkamal wrote:Hi,

Hello,

A couple of things to check:
- Are the beacons, actually, ON at all? They may be in OFF mode or in DFU mode. What are the DIP switch position? Please, share photos of the DIP switch
- Some microUSB metal connectors are just too short for beacons or plastic part of the micro USB connector is too wide and USB pins do not reach the pins in the USB connector on the board. In some cases, even charging works, but data pins are just a fraction of mm too short. The connector may still work with modems, but not with beacons or, at least, not with all beacon. Please, find longer micro USB connectors with longer metal part. Try several really different USB cables
- What SW is tried for updating? Please, double check that you are trying to upload beacon SW to beacons and modem SW to modems
- Pay attention to SW versions: 433MHz vs. 915MHz. Use the SW pack according to your HW variant

And, of course, absolutely always use SW from the same SW pack. Don't take beacon SW from one SW pack and Dashboard from another. SW is compatible within the SW pack and doesn't necessarily compatible between the packs.

BR,
Maxim

Thanks for this answer! I had the same problem!

faiz10

Postby faiz10 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:35 am

you do not answer my question regarding with my charging problem with the beacons.
now, i have 3 beacons than cannot charge at all.
i have done everything to get my beacons to be charged.

what is happening?

bigtuna

Postby bigtuna » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 am

Hi,

I am having issues with my Marvelmind System. I am fairly certain all issues are stemming from the USBs not connecting properly as was stated above. I have tried using a few various other USB cables but no connection can be made (despite the modem or beacon in question powering on). Can I ask if I am to purchase a couple more cables where the one in the packet comes from as it seems to be the only cable not causing issues?

Thanks

Return to “FAQ”