Marvelmind instructions no longer working with latest ArduRover?

Frequent questions asked online, offline, in forums are answered here
zlite

Marvelmind instructions no longer working with latest ArduRover?

Postby zlite » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:33 am

The Marvelmind ultrasonic beacons work great with the latest ArduCopter (3.5) but with ArduRover 3.2, I get a "No GPS" with all the same settings on Pixhawk. Anybody know why ArduRover no longer works with Marvelmind? I'm following all the regular instructions, including using EKF 3.

zlite

Re: Marvelmind instructions no longer working with latest ArduRover?

Postby zlite » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:38 pm

Update: I managed to get it recognized by setting GPS Type to 5 (NMEA) rather than none. So now I can get 3D lock if the hedgehog is moving. However, I'm still getting AHRS errors and "Bad GPS Health" warnings, and as a result it won't let me switch into auto mode.

Anybody solved this?

zlite

Postby zlite » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:28 am

I got the beacons to be recognized by setting GPS Type to 5 (NMEA) rather than 1 (none), but it's still given AHRS and "Bad GPS" errors and won't let me switch modes.

ArduRover 3.2 on Pixhawk

zlite

Postby zlite » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 am

I can now get ArduRover 3.2 to recognize the beacons by setting GPS Type to 5 (NMEA) rather than 0 as the instructions say, but now I'm getting "Bad GPS Health" and AHRS errors, and it won't let me change modes. Has anyone got this running?

smoker77

Postby smoker77 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Hello,
I tried with this now. Found that the 'Bad GPS Health' message appears when mobile beacon has really bad positioning (monitored via dashboard). When mobile beacon can not update position, it becomes transparent in dashboard for some time, and NMEA data not come from it. In this case I see bad GPS health, or No GPS message in Mission Planner. When mobile beacon position updates well, GPS status in Mission Planner is also good. Please ensure tracking is good before starting with Pixhawk.
Attachments
ardurover2marvelmind.PNG

zlite

Postby zlite » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Thanks -- I'll check that. Are you also getting AHRS errors, as I am?

And are you able to change modes to Auto? Mine won't leave Hold because of those errors.

Also, the instructions said to set Pin15 function to UART, but you've got it as SPI. Could that make a difference?

zlite

Postby zlite » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:23 pm

I've solved the "Bad GPS Health" issue and the "EKF3 waiting for GPS config data" by switching to EKF2, but I'm still getting AHRS errors, it won't change modes and the rover movement is not showing up on the Mission Planner map view.

zlite

Postby zlite » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:11 am

I eventually got this working. Many of the instructions were wrong, but here are some tips:

Use GPS_Type 5 (not 0)
Use EKF 2 (not 3)
Make sure you match all the settings on both the Marvelmind and Pixhawk side: GPS refresh rate (8Hz), baud rate of Serial ports (I used 115k) and serial type (GPS).

My working config files for Ardurover on both Pixhawk and Navio 2 are here:

Pixhawk: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UVurlMwBAox8Z3Z2U2QzvjFLWIPfIiDs/view?usp=sharing

Navio2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ArJuyrlfU96P4gILRI16xGIWjbxdXsQj/view?usp=sharing

For Navio 2, you need to assign the Serial ports in the Navio setup file:

ARDUPILOT_OPTS="-A udp:[your laptop's IP address]:14550 -C /dev/ttyUSB0 -E /dev/ttyAMA0"

Return to “FAQ”